Monday, January 28, 2019

The Best Holiday


February is beginning soon, and you know what that means...

GROUNDHOG DAY

If you don't know me, Groundhog Day is my favorite holiday just because it's a beautiful amalgamation of superstition, chunky animals and men with silly hats. The beautiful big boy shown in the above image is Punxsutawney Phil, named after the town the holiday takes place in, Punxsutawney, PA. I have had many people tell me that my boy Phil is a bit of a "fatass" and I have to say, that is rude. He is not fat, he is phat, as in I love him very much and if you say such crass about him again I will be forced to throw his beautiful body at you.

What they do on this day of February 2nd is fairly simple: Get Phil out of his hole and let him look around for a few seconds. The President of the Inner Circle (currently Bill Deeley), talks to Phil for a second and Phil lets him know the details on his shadow seeing business. If Phil says that he did, in fact, see his shadow that means there will be six more weeks of winter, but if he has not seen it, there will be an early spring.

There was a silly movie based on the holiday, starring Bill Murray. The movie is pretty good, Murray (named Phil just for fun) is a weatherman who is sent to Punxsutawney to get that groundhog on camera. The next morning, he wakes up, and guess what. It's February 2nd again and now he's stuck in Groundhog Day forever, until he learns to be a better man. What a heartwarming story. A Broadway musical was also made about it, but I try not to talk about that one too often, even though it's pretty good.

Y'all better be celebrating this great holiday when it comes around in a couple of days, because I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment