Thursday, January 24, 2019

How I Learned To Stop Worrying

SAT-IRE

[ˈsaˌtī(ə)r]

NOUN
  1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

In my English class, we are being taught about satire, and that's all well and good. I don't mind it much because I quite enjoy what we're doing with it, y'know, watching a video or reading an article and then explaining why it is satire and what it is satirizing. As you know by this point, I am the #1 Movie Boy™, and I watch a couple of them a week. I believe during the winter time during my eighth grade school year, I watched the film Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. I had recorded it on my DVR at our old house, and I watched it over the course of several days while getting ready in the morning for school. When I finally finished it, I thought it was the most hilarious thing I had ever seen. The abruptness of the ending just really got me and I can't really explain why.

After a bit of "research" I found that this film is known as a "Political Satire" on the topic of the Cold War and the looming threat of nuclear warfare. Now, in the year 2019, I'm pretty sure we're in another Cold War, Cold War II if you will. I'M OVER HERE FLINGING ZINGERS ALL OVER THE PLACE, I AM A COMEDIC GENIUS YOU CANNOT STOP ME. I'm sorry for that outrageous outburst of outlandish proportions. But the movie is a satire on that whole situation. I am against remakes a reboots that are unneeded, but I think a Strangelove remake could be a fun idea. Maybe change around some stuff, so that it doesn't seem like a straight up full on remake but instead a beautiful reimagining of Red Alert by Peter George, the original novel the film is based on. 

As previously said: Many sequels, reboots and remakes feel disgusting to me, especially Pixar, who revel in their "original" films while in past years all of their movies have been sequels to already established films in their productions. A remake for Strangelove does make me feel good. I would love that to be a thing. xoxo gossip girl.

2 comments:

  1. the way this was written was great. it was conversational, it was topical and most importantly it made me laugh at approximately 10:37pm while my whole house is asleep. you're very funny mr. cater. ESPECIALLY THE ENDING. xoxo gossip girl had me dying. i'm definitely coming back to your blog for a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete